A Berwyn Fire Company firefighter suffered a minor leg injury while fighting a house fire Sunday night in Tredyffrin. An unidentified firefighter was treated at Paoli hospital for a minor ankle injury suffered while fighting the fire in the 400 block of Berwyn Baptist Road.
Berwyn Fire Company Assistant Chief Eamon Brazunas says the blaze caused an estimated $50,000 in property damage and as much as $50,000 in damage to the contents of the home. A report on the Berwyn Fire Company website says a properly-functioning automatic fire alarm triggered the 9-1-1 call and may have saved the home from even more extensive damage.
According to the Fire Company website the cause of blaze has been ruled accidental by the fire marshal who was called to the scene as part of routine procedure. The fire started in a basement utility room, according to the Fire Company report.
No one was home when firefighters arrived on the scene just after 8:30 p.m. Sunday night. Once firefighters made it past a locked driveway entrance gate they could see smoke and a call went out for assistance from the Radnor, Paoli, Malvern and Valley Forge fire companies. The fire was placed under control at 9:13 p.m.
One cat was rescued from inside the home and is reported recovering with its owners.
You can read more details about the fire here on the Berwyn Fire Company website.