Many residential streets were closed earlier this month as Aqua PA began a $1.2 million water main replacement project. Roughly 8,100 feet (about 1.5 miles) of old, cast iron pipe will be removed and replaced with 8-inch ductile iron main.
According to Aqua PA spokesperson Donna Alston, the water main replacement is expected to finish in June, followed by final paving in July.
The work will take place weekdays from 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. The following streets will be affected:
- Biddle and Fennerton Roads between E. Central and Park avenues
- Pennington Road between E. Central Avenue and Rochsolach Road
- Orchard Road between E. Central Avenue and Vincent Road
- Arlington and Dalton Roads between E. Central Avenue to Jolind Road
- Jolind Road between Vincent and Orchard roads
- Rochsolach Road between Fennerton and Orchard roads
The original piping dates back to the early 1900s, Alston said, and the new ductile iron main with cement lining will be more resistant to rust.