Clothing children can be a challenge and a drain on the wallet, but consignment sales take each dollar much farther.
Most local spring sales sell clothes and baby items. Some also sell toys, books, maternity clothes and more.
- Bring Big Bags: Bringing your own bags can be helpful not just so you have something to take your items home in, but also as you walk around the sale. IKEA bags or something that size can be ideal. You never know when you’re going to see that perfect, but large toy and you still have to go through a number of clothes racks. Being able to put that toy in your bag with everything else rather than having to juggle can be a lifesaver.
- Take Cash: Not all sales take credit, so check beforehand and make sure you have enough cash if you’re going to need it.
- Measure Your Child: Kids grow, and sizes are not uniform. A tip a friend gave me to make sure I was buying items that would fit my son was to take a string and measure the inseam of a pair of pants that fits now and tie a knot in the string. Tie another knot for the length arm inseam. I've started also tying a knot for his waist in case waist bands aren't adjustable or elastic. Then you have one piece of string to take with you and you know you want it to be that size or up to an inch bigger for the next season's clothes.
- Avoid Taking the Stroller: If you go early, the sale will be packed with more merchandise and harder to navigate, so leave your child with a babysitter, or use a carrier, because moving through the sale will be a nightmare. Some sales ban strollers.
- Each Sale is Different: Going early does mean you’ll have better selection, but don’t think there will be nothing left at the end. It all depends on the sale, the consignors and the other shoppers and their tastes.
- Get Extra Savings: Most sales have a time at the end of their sale when all or some of their merchandise is half price.
- Do you have any great insider tips? Please share them in the comments area below.
Area Consignment Sales
Twice is Nice Consignment Sale
Good Samaritan Church
212 West Lancaster Ave.
Paoli, PA 19301
- Tuesday 9 a.m.-1 p.m., 5-8 p.m.
- Wednesday & Thursday 9 a.m.-1 p.m. (half price sale is Thursday)
Spring Chicken Kids’ Consignment Sale
Armenian Martyrs' Congregational Church
100 N. Edmond’s Avenue, Havertown, PA 19083
- Friday Noon-8pm
- Saturday 8am-2pm (half price sale noon-2pm)
Main Line Moms of Multiples
Monsignor Bonner High School Gym
403 N Lansdowne Ave Drexel Hill, PA 19026
Second Time Around Kids Consignment Sale
Marple Presbyterian Church
105 N. Sproul Rd., Broomall, PA 19008
- Friday Noon - 6 p.m.
- Saturday 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.(half price 12-2)
Valley Forge Mothers of Twins and Triplets
Green Tree Church of the Brethren
1078 Egypt Road, Oaks, PA
Hours: Opens at 9 a.m.
Just Between Friends
Greater Philadelphia Expo Center
100 Station Ave., Oaks
- Thursday 9am-8pm ($3 admission)
- Friday 9am-7pm (free admission)
- Saturday 6am-6pm (half price all day)
- Friday 10:30 a.m.- 6 p.m.
- Saturday 8:30 a.m. - 1 p.m. (Half Price Sale: 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.)
Just Between Friends West Chester/Media
Brandywine Youth Club
41 S. Thornton Road, Glen Mills, PA 19342
- Friday 9 a.m.-3 p.m. ($3 Admission) (Print out free admission voucher)
- Saturday 8 a.m.-5 p.m., 5:30-7 p.m.
- Sunday 8 a.m.-12:30 p.m. (Half price sale all day)
The Saturday Club Women & Children’s Consignment Sale
The Saturday Club
117 West Wayne Ave., Wayne, PA 19087
Friday 5-9 p.m. (Preview: $10 admission)
Saturday 7-11 a.m. (Half Price sale: 11:10 a.m. -noon)
Stepping Stones Kids Sale
St. Katharine of Siena
S. Aberdeen Ave., Wayne, PA 19087
Hours: 8 a.m. - 2 p.m. (Half Price sale: 1-2 p.m.)
Rubber Ducky Kids Consignment Sale
Brookhaven Municipal Center Gym (next to Burger King)
2 Cambridge Rd., Brookhaven, PA 19015
- Friday: Noon-7 p.m.
- Saturday: 8:30 a.m. -2 p.m.
April 27-May 5
The Charlestown Sale
Kimberton Fire Co. and Fairgrounds
61 Firehouse Ln., Phoenixville, PA 19460
- Saturday (April 27) 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Sunday (April 28) 10 a.m. -4 p.m.
- Monday (April 29) 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Tuesday (April 30) 9:30 a.m.-8 p.m.
- Wednesday (May 1) 9:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Saturday (May 4) 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m. (50/50 day)
- Sunday (May 5) 9:30 a.m.-11 p.m. (Bag sale)